Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Arrrr, Mateys!

Ahoy, landlubbers! Today be Talk Like a Pirate Day! Ye'll be fergivven me the urge to be soundin' like a mighty buccanear, goofy as it might be. Hoist the anchors and keelhaul and scurvy dogs and a barrel o' ale and grog and wenches!

Okay, now that I have that out of my system...

I had hatched a plan to build Pirate themed lunches to celebrate the fun day, but I went to three different stores and could not find chocolate gold coins. I couldn't find Jolly Roger cupcake toppers either. I was going to make my own with black construction paper, toothpicks, and white out, but Beaker was in full on wild-child mode and I could barely put a sentence together, let alone a fun themed lunch. So, these are what I fixed up instead.

Princess has celery "palm tree trunks", pretzel "peg legs", tortilla "buried bones of keel-hauled enemies" (tortillas cut into bone shapes with a cookie cutter), kiwi chunks to prevent scurvy, "lost island" spinach dip, Pirate's Booty puffed corn, grape tomato "innards", shredded lettuce and shredded pork carnitas with cilantro, with two bars o' silver for dessert (Hershey's chocolate nuggets. Gold would been more suitable, but the gold wrapped ones have almonds, so silver it is).


Bean didn't really like the carnitas, so for her lunch she has shredded lettuce with "Tortuga Isle" pepper turkey rolls, scurvy-preventin' kiwi slices, peg leg pretzel sticks, celery with spinach dip, Pirate's Booty, bone shaped tortillas, and bars o' silver.


G-man didn't want a full lunch, prefering the pizza in the cafeteria instead. He did request a snack pack to take, because he has been getting hungry by mid-morning lately. Keeping with our theme, I packed Pirate's Booty, pretzel sticks, and silver bars.


I had promised squeaky Beaker a picnic at the park after library story hour today, so I made a lunch up for him and I to share. Celery stalks that crunch like bones, with pepper turkey rolls and spinach dip, pretzel peg legs, Pirate's Booty, Goldfish caught off the port bow, kiwi chunks, slices of sourdough baguette, and bars o' silver. Unfortunately, Beaker woke up sick in the middle of the night. Nothing says "you're a parent" quite like stripping two beds, showering three people, and getting a load of laundry going at 1:30 in the morning. So, story hour was nixed and the much-improved-by-midday Beaker picked at his snacky lunch while snuggled on the couch watching a Leap Frog video instead.



Here's hoping for an uneventful night tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read Me

Blogging tips